Sing Out for CHEO is more than just a charity event! This event is recognized as an official CHEO Foundation fundraiser that over the past three years has grown to include a fantastic silent auction, with prizes given by local merchants and this year a local Artist/Band Music Competition.
Danny Sylvestre is the founder and organizer for the Sing Out for CHEO event. He had his life dramatically altered when his daughter was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy by the doctors at CHEO. Without the care and support provided by CHEO to both his daughter, and to himself as a young parent, both of their lives could have been negatively affected. Through the surgeries, the therapies and the countless late night visits, the specialists at CHEO patiently carried them through every kind of healing process. Today, she is vibrant testimony to just some of the vital services that CHEO provides.
For the third year, Danny is the CHEO Ambassador for this event and an Ottawa Valley based singer/songwriter, in partnership with Ottawa New Country 94, Tim Tierney/Ottawa Councillor, Sound Check Entertainment, GallantMEDIA, and Freedom Music and with the help of a great team of devoted volunteers and local sponsors.
Sing Out for CHEO! will be on Friday, February 22nd, 2019 at the Lone Star Loft (St. Laurent), 1211 Lemieux Street, Ottawa, Ontario and will feature the Danny Sylvestre Band and the Rainwater Whiskey Band.
This year, “Sing out for CHEO” is giving 3 lucky artists the chance to also perform at this great event, and raise money for the CHEO Foundation for family-centered children patient care facilities in Ottawa and the Outaouais region!
Here’s how it works!
- Starting September 1, 2018 each artist / band will need to upload the following information at www.singoutforcheo.ca, submission form.
a) YouTube video link of a live performance (3 minutes) of one original or cover song
c) Song lyrics
d) Social media links
e) A high quality photo (.jpg)
f) 50 word biography
g) An artistic statement of a maximum of 150 words revealing from the Artist/Band their musical motivations and any relevant experiences they have had with CHEO.
*The Sing Out for CHEO committee encourages original song submissions but is not a pre-requisite for the competition.* Song submissions accepted are from classic country, new country, and country rock formats only and should reflect positive lyrical content. SUBMISSION DEADLINE: JANUARY 31ST, 2019 (11:59:59 pm)
- Beginning early February 2019, semi-finalists are chosen by the Judging Committee and their promo material will be posted on the Sing Out for CHEO website.
- The 3 finalists will then be announced and be promoted for their live performance at the event on all “Sing Out for CHEO” and their sponsor’s social media links.
- The judging committee will then review the top three (3) finalists before February 22 in order to pick an overall winner to be announced the evening of the event, who will receive the following prize package:
1. One original song (written or co-written by artist or supplied by an outside writer approved by the Sing Out for CHEO Judging committee) to be recorded by Audio Valley.
2. A music video for social media produced by Freedom Music .
3. The digital release of the song /video via Freedom Music to selected digital platforms.
4. Professional photo shoots with Sean Sisk Photography, from Ottawa, a celebrated artist photographer.
5. Corey J. Stone Make Up Artistry
6. A full Artist/Band feature on the Sound Check Entertainment publication website and a photoshoot for the article.
7. Full career launch from the Artist Alliance Company including music business development, branding, marketing/advertising/self promotion, show and set building, and tour booking development.
*The prizes for winners have no redeemable cash value and cannot be exchanged or transferred.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Sing Out for CHEO Query”.
Rules and Regulations
- Single entrants must reside in Ontario, within the Ottawa Valley.
- For bands, at least 50% of members must reside in Ontario, within the Ottawa Valley.
Selection Criteria may include any or all of the following:
- Quality of submitted material (including music and press kit)
- Originality and overall potential
- Performance preparedness/readiness (ability to present an engaging performance)
- Performance history
- Genre appropriateness (Classic Country, New Country and Country Rock)
- Cover songs must have the original artist identified in their video submission
The Selection Committee is comprised of four (3) local music experts:
Danny Sylvestre, Singer/Songwriter
Michael Peters, President, Freedom Music
Hendrik Pape, Founder & Lead Editor, Sound Check Entertainment
Successful applicants are notified by Sing Out for CHEO staff via email.
Once the selected Artists/Bands are confirmed, they are provided with performance details. If any of the selected artists are unable to confirm their participation, an artist from the alternate list is invited. Those artists that are selected for a performance spot are notified via email once selection has been confirmed.
Upon selection, the Artist/Band grants Sing Out for CHEO permission the use of all publicity materials to be used for promotional purposes.
Additional Criteria as set out by Sing Out for CHEO
The three (3) finalists must be capable of performing one 15 minutes set on Friday, February 22, 2019. They must be available and on-site at the Lone Star Loft at 5pm, unless specifically instructed otherwise.
Artists/Bands will sign-in and receive their back stage pass.
Acceptable musical genres that Sing Out for CHEO is seeking include: New Country, Classic Country and Country-Rock.
Artists/Bands are permitted to play original and cover songs on stage the evening of the event. A set list must be provided complete with alternate songs in case of multiple performers using the same material.
A maximum of six band members are permitted in a band act as submitted in the video.
Artists/Band must not have an established and ongoing recording contract or releases with a major label or independent label with national distribution. Artists with local or social media only Independent releases are acceptable. All Artist/Band members must sign a release form that grants Sing Out for CHEO staff certain rights to the use of the video content for marketing purposes.
RECORDING, FILMING, PHOTOS AND PROMOTION:
a) Artist/Band performance in part, portion or segment may be recorded, transmitted or otherwise reproduced in either audio or video, without the express written consent of the Artist/Band.
b) Sing Out for CHEO promoter reserves the right to use the Artist/Band’s name, but solely for the promotion and advertisement of the performances hereunder.
c) When the Artist/Band headlines their performance, members of the audience are allowed to take photos of the Artist/Band performing.
d) Sing Out for CHEO has the right to use the Artist/Band recording, filming, photos and promotion to promote the event.
e) Key Artist/Band information will be used for the purpose of promotion in social media.
Responsibilities and Notes for the Artists/Band while performing at the Sing Out for CHEO event 2019:
The Sing Out for CHEO rules and regulations applicable to persons who enter the Competition and their parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s) if such persons are under the age of majority in Ontario (19 years old). By entering the Contest, you accept these Rules and agree to be bound by them and the interpretation of these Rules by the Administrator. If you are under the age of majority in Ontario, you represent and warrant that your parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s) also accept these Rules (for themselves and on your behalf) and agree to be bound by them and the interpretation of these Rules by the Administrator.
- All artists and members of the band must be 10 years of age or older.
- Acceptable public manners are required while Artist/Band is performing on stage. Artists/Bands must refrain from excessive cursing, obnoxious behaviour, nudity, or topics that many may find offensive.
- Any Artist/Band member that appears to be heavily under the influence of alcohol or drugs while performing on stage will result in the immediate removal of such artist or musician from the stage. Their remaining privileges at Sing Out for CHEO will be completely revoked at the discretion of the Sing Out for CHEO organizers.
- Artist/Band is permitted to play both original and cover songs by other established artists both on stage and in their video. Please note the original songwriter of your video within the video submission.
- The use of pyrotechnic displays and fog machines while playing on stage is not permitted.
- Lone Star’s production staff will provide the power, lighting and sound on stage at the event.
- No background music or pre-recorded music is permitted when performing on stage. Contact us directly if you have further questions regarding this issue.
- Selected act must agree to work with the Lone Star sound production staff during the set up and take down of your stage arrangements. The organizers reserve the right to set up and take down the set (in conjunction with the performers) in a way that best suits Sing Out for CHEO and the Lone Star sound production staff.
- Sing Out for CHEO is not responsible for transporting selected acts to or from the stage, however assistance will be provided by Sing Out for CHEO staff to help the selected act be ready for their performance on stage.
- Sing Out for CHEO is not responsible for any personal injury that might occur to winning Artist/Band members while playing on stage or during setting up or taking down of sets and equipment.
- Sing Out for CHEO will supply Artist/Band with 2019 Performance contract to be completed and returned to Sing Out for CHEO.
- Artist/Band will be accompanied with their own band or Danny Sylvestre band.
- Only Artists/Band members are allowed onstage. No parents, teachers or coaches will be allowed.