Sing Out for CHEO is more than just a charity event! This event is recognized as an official CHEO Foundation fundraiser. Over the past four years, the event has grown to include a fantastic silent auction, an artist competition, door prizes and raffles with gifts provided by local merchants.
Last year, Sing Out for CHEO’s artist competition was open to the Ottawa region only. Since then, we have received many requests from the Outaouais Valley from bands and individuals wanting to participate. For the 2020 Sing Out for CHEO Artist Competition, the committee has decided to open the competition to both the Ottawa region and la vallée de l’Outaouais.
Danny Sylvestre is an Ottawa Valley singer/songwriter and the founder and organizer for the Sing Out for CHEO event. He had his life dramatically altered when the doctors at CHEO diagnosed his daughter with Muscular Dystrophy. Over the years, she has had to go through a series of surgeries, therapies and countless late night visits at CHEO. The specialists at CHEO patiently carried them through their healing process. When she became an adult, CHEO still supported her by way of finding doctors and specialists outside of CHEO so that she may continue her medical follow-ups. Danny has a very special place in his heart for CHEO.
Sing Out for CHEO would not be possible without its partners: Ottawa Pure Country 94, Tim Tierney/Ottawa Councillor, Sound Check Entertainment, Lone Star, Via Rail, Gorley Lalonde Royal Lepage Performance Realty, GallantMEDIA, Long & McQuad, Shoebox Recording Studio and a multitude of other local sponsors and with the help of a great team of devoted volunteers.
For the second year in a row, Sing Out for CHEO is giving three (3) artists the opportunity to perform at this great event and to raise money for the CHEO Foundation family-centered children patient care facilities situated in Ottawa.
Sing Out for CHEO will be held on Saturday, February 22nd, 2020 at the Lone Star Loft (St. Laurent), 1211 Lemieux Street, Ottawa, Ontario and will feature the Danny Sylvestre Band and Rory Gardiner.
Here’s how it works!
Starting November 1st, 2019 each artist will need to upload the following information at www.singoutforcheo.ca, submission form.
a) YouTube video link of a live performance (3 minutes) of one original or one cover song
b) Song lyrics
c) Social media links
d) A high quality photo (.jpg)
e) 50 word biography
f) A statement of a maximum of 150 words revealing the Artist musical motivations and any relevant experiences the Artist has had with CHEO.
*The Sing Out for CHEO committee encourages original song submissions but is not a pre-requisite for the competition;
* Song submissions accepted are from classic country, new country, and country rock only.
* Song should reflect positive lyrical content.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: JANUARY 31st, 2020 (11:59:59 pm)
Early February 2020, the Judging Committee will choose semi-finalists and their promo material will be posted on the Sing Out for CHEO website.
The three (3) finalists will be announced and promoted on all Sing Out for CHEO and their sponsor’s social media platforms for their live performance at the Sing Out for CHEO event on February 22, 2020.
The judging committee will review the top three (3) event performances to determine a winner to be announced the evening of the event.
The Winner will receive the following prize package:
1. Sound Check Entertainment is giving a New Artist Development Package, value of $500 (includes photos, video artist introduction, social media development & training, publicity, Spotify training and a feature on leading entertainment websites including Sound Check Entertainment).
*Prizes have no redeemable cash value and cannot be exchanged or transferred.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Sing Out for CHEO Query”.
Rules and Regulations
• Solo Artist must reside in the province of Ontario within the Ottawa Region or in the province of Québec within la vallée de l’Outaouais.
• For bands, at least 50% of members must reside in the province of Ontario within the Ottawa Region or in the province of Québec within la vallée de l’Outaouais.
Selection Criteria may include any or all of the following:
• Quality of submitted material
• Originality and overall potential
• Performance preparedness/readiness (ability to present an engaging performance)
• Performance history
• Genre appropriateness (Classic Country, New Country and Country Rock)
• Cover songs must have the original artist identified in their video submission
The Selection Committee is comprised of two (2) local music experts:
– Danny Sylvestre, Singer/Songwriter
– Hendrik Pape, Founder & Lead Editor, Sound Check Entertainment
Sing Out for CHEO staff will notify successful applicants via email.
Following the notification, the Artists will be provided with performance details. If the selected artists are unable to participate, an artist from the alternate list will be invited to replace them.
Upon selection, the Artist grants Sing Out for CHEO permission the use of all publicity materials to be used for promotional purposes.
Additional Criteria as set out by Sing Out for CHEO
The three (3) finalists must be able to perform their submitted song on stage on Saturday, February 22, 2020. They must be available and on-site at the Lone Star Loft at 6pm, unless specifically instructed otherwise.
Artists will sign-in and receive their back stage pass.
Artists are permitted to play original or a cover song on stage the evening of the event. An alternate song must be provided in case of multiple artists using the same material.
A maximum of five (5) band members are permitted on stage.
Artists must not have an established and ongoing recording contract or releases with major or independent labels with national distribution.
Artists with local or social media only Independent releases are acceptable.
All Artist and band members must sign a release form that grants Sing Out for CHEO staff certain rights to the use of the video content for marketing purposes.
RECORDING, FILMING, PHOTOS AND PROMOTION
a) Artists performance in part, portion or segment may be recorded, transmitted or otherwise reproduced in either audio or video, without the express written consent of the Artists.
b) Sing Out for CHEO reserves the right to use the Artist’s name, but solely for the promotion and advertisement of their event.
c) During the Artist performance, members of the audience are allowed to take photos.
d) Sing Out for CHEO has the right to use the Artist recording, filming, photos and promotion to promote the event.
e) Key Artist information will be used for the purpose of promotion in social media.
Responsibilities and Notes for the Artists while performing at the Sing Out for CHEO event 2020
The Sing Out for CHEO rules and regulations applicable to persons who enter the Competition and their parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s) if such persons are under the age of majority in Ontario and Québec (18 years old).
By entering the competition, you accept these Rules and agree to be bound by them and the interpretation of these Rules by the Administrator.
If you are under the age of majority in Ontario, you represent and warrant that your parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s) accept these Rules (for themselves and on your behalf) and agree to be bound by them and the interpretation of these Rules by the Administrator.
1. All artists and members of the band must be 10 years of age or older.
2. Acceptable public manners are required while Artist is performing on stage. Artists must refrain from excessive cursing, obnoxious behaviour, nudity, or topics that many may find offensive.
3. Any Artist and band members that appear to be heavily under the influence of alcohol or drugs while performing on stage will result in the immediate removal of such artist or musician from the stage. Their remaining privileges at Sing Out for CHEO will be completely revoked at the discretion of the Sing Out for CHEO organizers.
4. Artist is permitted to play both original or cover song by other established artists both on stage and in their video. Please indicate the original songwriter in your video submission.
5. The use of pyrotechnic displays and fog machines while playing on stage is not permitted.
6. Lone Star’s production staff will provide the power, lighting and sound on stage at the event.
7. No background music or pre-recorded music is permitted when performing on stage. Contact us directly if you have further questions regarding this issue.
8. Artists must agree to work with the Lone Star sound production staff during the set up and take down of your stage arrangements. The organizers reserve the right to set up and take down the set (in conjunction with the Artists) in a way that best suits Sing Out for CHEO and the Lone Star sound production staff.
9. Sing Out for CHEO is not responsible for transporting selected acts to or from the stage, however Sing Out for CHEO will provide assistance for CHEO staff to help the selected act be ready for their performance on stage.
10. Sing Out for CHEO is not responsible for any personal injury that might occur to the Artist and band members while playing on stage or during setting up or taking down of sets and equipment.
11. Sing Out for CHEO will supply Artist with 2019 Performance contract to be completed and returned to Sing Out for CHEO.
12. Artists will be accompanied with their own band or Danny Sylvestre band.
13. Only Artists and band members are allowed onstage. No parents, teachers or coaches will be allowed.
NOTE: This document was translated from English to French, there may be grammatical errors. Also, note that the event will be presented in English and that not all documents will be translated into both languages. If you need more information, do not hesitate to send us an email. Sing Out for CHEO is a bilingual committee.